Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

My Cat Brings Me Gifts

I have a cute black cat

That strolls the streets at night.

She comes back home with gifts

Like mice brown or white.


But one night my cat came home

With a small box tied with a ribbon.

Inside it was a warm roll

Sprinkled with cinnamon.


The next night, she brought a white chocolate bar

With almonds and peanuts.

The night after, she brought a piece of fabric

That smelled like donuts.


Curious was I

Of all the gifts my cat brought.

Where did she get them from,

Is what I always thought.


Did she steal them from neighbors?

From a restaurant nearby?

Where could she get such goods

For which she could not buy?


One night, when my cat left

I followed her out the door.

I was much too curious

To be left in the dark anymore.


I was careful not to let her see me

As I trailed behind in elation.

I hid in bushes and darted behind trees

As she went onward to her destination.


My cat went down an alley.

At the end of it was a wall

With a small wooden door

That was only two feet tall.


The door opened up;

My cat went inside.

I crawled through it, of course,

To see what was on the other side.


I stood up and marveled

At all these small booths.

They were decorated with bright lights,

And had colorful roofs.


A cat owned each booth,

And they purred and meowed

As they went about their night

Talking to cats in the large crowd.


There were cats of all colors,

Shapes, and sizes.

Some were selling delicious treats

And others were giving out prizes


To cats who won

The various games they had

Like Bonking the Mouse

And Catching the Crawdad!


Others were selling fabrics and yarn,

Of which there was a great array,

To cats who were more artistic

And loved to sew or crochet.


It was all amazing

Truly astounding to see.

I wanted to stay a long time,

But alas, that was not to be.


For it was not long

Before the cats noticed me there.

They started hissing and caterwauling.

I obviously wasn’t welcome there.


Cats approached me from all sides,

And swatted at me with their claws.

I knew then that by visiting

I had broken their laws.


I ran for the door,

And left the place in a hurry.

I ran back home

To escape the cats’ fury.


When my cat came home

She brought me a mouse,

Gave me a reproving look,

And went to her little cat house.


She never again

Brought me extravagant gifts.

Perhaps my unwanted appearance

Had caused her to have rifts.


Maybe the cats at the festival

Had told her she was banned

From ever coming back

To the special cat land.


Or maybe she was just being spiteful

Because I hadn’t minded my business.

Whatever the reason, it’s safe to say

I’m done with the other cats’ cattiness.

Comments

Popular Posts