Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

Mr. Farmer and the Sea Serpent

A boy was eating

Peppermint sticks

On the shore

Of the Sea of Nix.


He went merrily

On his way

Until a Sea Serpent

Came that very day.


It said, “Give me that candy

Or I’ll eat you instead.”

And the lad did so

Lest he become dead.


“Come back and

Give me more tomorrow.”

The lad ran off

In fear and sorrow.


The poor lad

Ran up the hill

To Mr. Farmer’s

Little mill.


He told him that

The Sea Serpent

Had eaten all

His peppermint.


“Mr. Farmer,

what shall we do?

The Sea Serpent

Will come back soon.”


Mr. Farmer said,

“Do not fear,

Give me fresh water

And my lyre.”


The little boy

Did as he was told,

And the man set off

Though he was old.


Mr. Farmer

Went to the sea

And played a tune,

A good sea shanty.


Up came the Serpent

From the sea

“I thought I heard

A good sea shanty.”


Mr. Farmer smiled

“‘Tis my lyre I play.

But I think I shall stop

For the day.”


“Don’t stop playing

I love the song.

I could listen

All day long.”


“Fine, but first

Please oblige me

And drink this jug

Of delicious tea.”


The Serpent drank

The fresh water

And began to feel

Hotter and hotter.


His skin grew dry

And very pale

He went back into the sea

For he felt unwell.


He was ill

For many a day

And from then on

He stayed away.


Mr. Farmer

Received joyous praise,

And the town lived peacefully

All their days.

Comments

Popular Posts