Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

Earth to Nim

I walk through a grassy meadow where pixies and sprites hide beneath flowers and stones. I find one and follow it all the way to the knothole of an oak tree. The pixie lives with a family of squirrels. One squirrel wearing an apron prepares acorn stew over a warm fire in the fireplace. 

My brother, Jacob, asks me why I’m staring out the window listlessly. By that time, I’m sitting on a tree in the battle of my life fighting goblins and gigantic wolves with bow and arrow in hand. With only three arrows left, I wait anxiously for the king’s army to arrive.

Jacob sighs and says, “Hello? Earth to Nim.”

I pilot a spaceship dodging enemy fire from a large alien armada and jump into hyperspace. I swim to the depths of the sea to visit mermaids. I sit on the bench and have a pleasant talk with Bilbo Baggins. I rise from my chair and volunteer to help Frodo on his journey to Mordor and join the fellowship.

“Can you come back to reality for five minutes?” Jacob asks.

“Nope,” I say.

“Why not?”

“Because in reality, I’m in Wisconsin, but I haven’t a clue where you are. You’ve been missing for months.”

Comments

Popular Posts