Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

In a Flash: A Christian Perspective

In a Flash is a historical fiction novel by Donna Jo Napoli, for audiences in grades 4-6 and ages 8-12. Simona, an eight-year-old, and her sister Carolina, a five-year-old, move with their father to Japan, where he works for the Italian embassy. However, during the start of World War II, the girls are separated from their dad. Simona must protect Carolina and do all she can to ensure their safety and survival.

I liked reading from Simona’s perspective, and she felt real to me. She is kind and caring, and also clever and observant. There were times where I felt the same emotions she felt. When I first began reading, it felt almost as if I were reading a diary because the book is in first person and there are dates at the beginning of each chapter. Sometimes the chapters are weeks, months, or even years apart. As I read more, it felt less like a diary to me. Perhaps because the book is in the present tense, and because I became more involved in the story. Through Simona’s perspective, I could see the reality and the horrors of war and its negative economic and emotional impact on adults and children. Shops close, people are forced to go to black markets for food, and everyone becomes distressed and suspicious of others, and they turn on one another.

The book offered a different perspective on WWII, and I felt like I had a better understanding of how some normal civilians might have seen it. In the book, some Japanese say “Shikata ga nai,” which means life goes on. People try to go on with their lives despite the war. Kids still go to school, and people continue working. However, as the war gets worse, so do the civilians’ living conditions. More shops close, food becomes scarce, children drop out of school and wander the streets, some gardening to survive. Because of the war, Simona and Carolina must be aware of their surroundings and other people at all times. They must be careful of how they act, what they say, and what they do if they want to live.

There are themes of love vs hatred, freedom vs tyranny, propaganda vs truth, and war and its effect on people, which I enjoyed. People distrust and hate others, only focusing on their own survival and not caring for others like Simona and Carolina. Their love grows cold. People are forced to give up anything metal, such as pots, for the army to use. Boys as young as sixteen are forced to join the army. Students in Japanese schools are taught to hate America and that Japan is winning the war when they aren’t. However, Simona, Carolina, and others strive against hatred, tyranny, and propaganda. They show love and kindness to others, strive for their freedom, and try to learn and share the truth.

There is a real sense of high stakes, and I was always worried for the characters, wondering if something bad would happen to them and hoping they would be alright. Because of the events that occur, I wondered if anything else would change in a flash.

One thing I didn’t really like was that there were times where I felt the dialogue was a bit of an info dump. It wasn’t bad, and the information was needed. But when people talked to Simona and Carolina about the war and what was happening, it felt a bit fake to me at times. I questioned if it was really something a grownup would say to a child. However, the dialogue is really good overall, and it makes me empathize with Simona and other characters in the story. There is a brief mention of a painting with nearly naked women. Also, a horrible thing happens to Simona. However, she didn’t react the way I was expecting, and I didn’t really know what she was thinking or feeling at that moment.

A takeaway for me was to always be aware of your surroundings, and that you must treat others with love and respect even though it may not be easy. God says to love your neighbor as yourself, and it is the second of the greatest commandments. You can’t just love your neighbor as yourself when it is convenient. You have to do it when it may not be convenient too. In the book, times are so hard that it would be easier for people to ignore those who needed their help. However, some characters in the story risk their own safety to help others in need. I would like to be like that. Sometimes God will tell us to do things for others that we may not feel like doing because we’re worried about our own circumstances. But we have to trust God and do what He calls us to do. If we do that, then we can be more like Jesus.

I would recommend this book to those who aren’t too sensitive to war and are interested in historical fictional children’s books. I enjoyed this book, so perhaps I will check out Donna Jo Napoli’s other books.

Comments

Popular Posts