Skip to main content

Featured

Run, Rat, Run (Second Version)

Run, rat, run! Run as fast as you can. You must run to earn your bread! If you stop running, You will earn nothing And you won’t be able to get fed. Run, rat, run! Run early in the morning Or run late into the night. Either wake up before Mr. Sun Or wake up with the Man in the Moon For you cannot afford respite. Run, rat, run! You’re the best runner we have! The most successful racer by far! Keep running at this pace And you just might win the race! Thank you for giving us all that you are. Run, rat, run! What’s this? You want extra crumbs? Proposturous! Utterly ridiculous! You’re not even that speedy And you’re already being greedy. You cannot possibly be serious. Run, rat, run! Don’t slow down now Though you puff and you pant for air. If you keep running You will stop foolishly thinking That this life isn’t right or fair. Run rat run! Don’t stop now! You must run all day, all night long! If you really hope to thrive And you really want to survive  You must continue to run strong!...

Shoes by Raissa Bretaña: A Book Review


Shoes is written by Raissa Bretaña, a New-York city based fashion historian. In it, Bretaña shows “the evolution of women’s fashionable footwear over the course of four centuries…(p. 9)” It has 250 pictures of “the finest examples” of shoes from the 17th century to the 21st century, which were selected from museums such as the Metropolitan Museum of Art (p. 9).

I enjoyed the book for the most part. One reason I enjoyed this book was because I found the shoes beautiful. I have a few pictures of my favorites below.


                                                                    







The second reason I enjoyed the book was because of the interesting historical facts the author mentioned.

For instance, in the 17th century, Louis XIV made an edict that the talon rouge (red heel) was to be reserved for royalty (p. 32-33). In the 18th century, the red heel served to be a mark of high status for members of the French court, and they also became a status symbol for aristocrats in other countries (p. 33). However, the French Revolution made the talon rouge and high heels in general go out of style, because both were seen as symbols of the corrupt aristocracy (p. 33). It was interesting to learn how historical events affected fashion at that time, and it made me consider how certain events could affect fashion in stories I might write in the future.

The third reason I  liked this book is because of its size. I find tiny books cute, and they’re easier to carry around.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes fashion, fashion history, or simply likes shoes.

Comments

Popular Posts

1 09