Skip to main content

Featured

Run, Rat, Run (Second Version)

Run, rat, run! Run as fast as you can. You must run to earn your bread! If you stop running, You will earn nothing And you won’t be able to get fed. Run, rat, run! Run early in the morning Or run late into the night. Either wake up before Mr. Sun Or wake up with the Man in the Moon For you cannot afford respite. Run, rat, run! You’re the best runner we have! The most successful racer by far! Keep running at this pace And you just might win the race! Thank you for giving us all that you are. Run, rat, run! What’s this? You want extra crumbs? Proposturous! Utterly ridiculous! You’re not even that speedy And you’re already being greedy. You cannot possibly be serious. Run, rat, run! Don’t slow down now Though you puff and you pant for air. If you keep running You will stop foolishly thinking That this life isn’t right or fair. Run rat run! Don’t stop now! You must run all day, all night long! If you really hope to thrive And you really want to survive  You must continue to run strong!...

The Wooden Weasel

One day, I went to a bookshop

That didn’t have many books.

It was a small shop with cute toys

And I wanted to take a look.


I scanned the small bookshelves

And noted books that looked nice

And saw cute little cottages

With gnomes and wooden mice.


In a small wooden bowl on the small desk

Were a few small wooden creatures.

Some were foxes, others were badgers

And others were red squirrels with simple features.


But one animal in particular

Caught my eye and stole my heart

And that was a wooden otter

Which was cute and a work of art.


“Look, a toy otter,” I said

To my mother, because I wanted her to see.

Now, the shop owner was at the desk

So I know that she heard me.


A few days ago on my morning walk

I saw a small family of otters.

They smacked on fish they caught

As they swam in the waters.


So, when I saw this wooden otter

I knew I had to have it.

I looked at the tag around its neck

But there was no price on it.


I knew this little otter

Would probably have a high cost

But I figured that since I adored it

The money spent wouldn’t be lost.


I took the otter to the checkout,

The owner said it was five dollars and some change.

I thought, Yes, that’s a bit high, but oh well.

So, I went ahead with the exchange.


The owner put the little wooden otter

In a large white paper bag.

I said farewell to her and left happy,

But a surprise awaited me on the otter’s tag.


While on my ride back home

I glanced at the otter’s tag.

On the tag was a word that caught my eye:

WEASEL. I had a little weasel in the large bag!


My heart sank and my throat tightened

At this unwelcome discovery.

I had bought a small, five-dollar wooden weasel

Because I hadn’t read the tag carefully!


And the bookshop owner had heard me

But either didn’t notice or care

That I had called the weasel an otter.

I had just wasted my money there.


I could have used the five dollars

For other things, like clothes, food, or drink

Or better yet, saved it for later.

But oh no, I couldn’t stop and think!


I didn’t have a cute wooden otter

Like I had originally thought.

I had a silly, albeit cute, wooden weasel

Which I never should have bought.


So began my silent, painful buyer’s remorse.

My trip to the bookshop had been disheartening.

From now I shall read the tag carefully

And I will always ask the price before purchasing!

Comments

Popular Posts

1 09