Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

The Wooden Weasel

One day, I went to a bookshop

That didn’t have many books.

It was a small shop with cute toys

And I wanted to take a look.


I scanned the small bookshelves

And noted books that looked nice

And saw cute little cottages

With gnomes and wooden mice.


In a small wooden bowl on the small desk

Were a few small wooden creatures.

Some were foxes, others were badgers

And others were red squirrels with simple features.


But one animal in particular

Caught my eye and stole my heart

And that was a wooden otter

Which was cute and a work of art.


“Look, a toy otter,” I said

To my mother, because I wanted her to see.

Now, the shop owner was at the desk

So I know that she heard me.


A few days ago on my morning walk

I saw a small family of otters.

They smacked on fish they caught

As they swam in the waters.


So, when I saw this wooden otter

I knew I had to have it.

I looked at the tag around its neck

But there was no price on it.


I knew this little otter

Would probably have a high cost

But I figured that since I adored it

The money spent wouldn’t be lost.


I took the otter to the checkout,

The owner said it was five dollars and some change.

I thought, Yes, that’s a bit high, but oh well.

So, I went ahead with the exchange.


The owner put the little wooden otter

In a large white paper bag.

I said farewell to her and left happy,

But a surprise awaited me on the otter’s tag.


While on my ride back home

I glanced at the otter’s tag.

On the tag was a word that caught my eye:

WEASEL. I had a little weasel in the large bag!


My heart sank and my throat tightened

At this unwelcome discovery.

I had bought a small, five-dollar wooden weasel

Because I hadn’t read the tag carefully!


And the bookshop owner had heard me

But either didn’t notice or care

That I had called the weasel an otter.

I had just wasted my money there.


I could have used the five dollars

For other things, like clothes, food, or drink

Or better yet, saved it for later.

But oh no, I couldn’t stop and think!


I didn’t have a cute wooden otter

Like I had originally thought.

I had a silly, albeit cute, wooden weasel

Which I never should have bought.


So began my silent, painful buyer’s remorse.

My trip to the bookshop had been disheartening.

From now I shall read the tag carefully

And I will always ask the price before purchasing!

Comments

Popular Posts