Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

Mr. Badger and the Fairy Berries

Mr. Badger loved to badger

The other badgers in town.

He loved to nag them to do silly things

And loved to boss them around.


He loved to play pranks

On the poor badgers

Who wanted to be left alone

To play chess or checkers.


One day, a badger named Frank,

Who was only a year old,

Decided he had had enough.

He knew he had to be bold.


He walked up to Mr. Badger

Wondering what to do,

And said “Mr. Badger,

I have a question for you.”


“What is it then?”

Said the old, mean brute.

“Do you think,” asked the young one,

“You could steal a fairy’s fruit?”


“What kind of question is that?

Of course I could.”

“That’s nice,” said Little Frank,

“But I was wondering if you would.”


“Why?” Mr. Badger asked.

“Because,” said the younger one,

“I think it would be a great prank.

Wouldn’t you like to have some fun?


“But if you don’t want to do it,

I understand. I do.

After all, you’re an old badger.

It’s sad, but it’s true.”


Mr. Badger snarled. 

“I will pull off that prank

No matter how old I am.

I’ll show you, Little Frank.”


Mr. Badger hurried off

To the Fairy Field of Lute

To find a fairy from whom

He could steal lots of fruit.


He came upon one big cottage

With a bright red door.

“Maybe,” said Mr. Badger

“This is what I’m looking for.”


He looked around the house

And to his great delight

There was a field of fairy berries.

“Yes, this place is just right.”


He went to the front door,

Gave it a good hard knock,

And out came a tall fairy

Named Mr. Hawk.


“Oh, good and great fairy,

Do be so kind.

Are there Bumbleberries

That you could find?


“I’m a very old badger,

So I can’t smell them out.

You see, my sense of smell is bad.

I can’t make much use of this snout.”


Now Mr. Hawk

Wasn’t sure about the request.

He didn’t want to leave his garden

Even at Mr. Badger’s behest.


“Sorry badger, 

I can’t leave my fairy berries.

If I did, some animal

Would eat them and not tarry.”


“Oh, but please

Have mercy on poor me.

I haven’t eaten in days,

So I’m quite hungry.


“I may not look like it

But I’m on the verge of death.

If I don’t eat today,

Tomorrow will mark my final breath.”


Mr. Hawk sighed.

“I suppose I could go see

Whether there are any Bumbleberries

And where they may be.”


“Please do,” said Mr. Badger

Feeling quite pleased.

When the fairy flew down the road,

He felt more at ease.


“Now to take the berries

That the fairy is keeping.”

But he didn’t know

That the fairy was listening.


Unbeknownst to him

Mr. Hawk had a great sense of hearing.

So even from miles away,

He heard what he was planning.


Mr. Hawk came back,

And hid in his house.

He was so quiet,

Even quieter than a mouse.


He watched Badger from a back window.

He wanted to catch him in the act.

He knew if he left his garden alone

It would be ransacked.


The Badger plucked some berries

From the fairy’s berry bush.

But as he plucked a seventh one

There was a loud Whoosh!


A gust of wind

Sent Mr. Badger soaring

Higher and higher into the sky.

In his ears, the wind was roaring.


“What is going on?!”

Mr. Badger said.

“If I fall down,

In seconds, I’ll be dead!”


Then, who do you think flew by?

Why, it was Mr. Hawk.

Mr. Badger stared at him

In embarrassment and shock.


“Thought you would steal?” Mr. Hawk asked.

“For you, that’s tragic.

Did you think I would hesitate 

To use my good old wind magic?”


With a wave of his hand

The gust of wind ceased.

Mr. Badger fell. “No!

Don’t let me be with the deceased!


“Have mercy on an old badger!

Please, I beg you!

I promise I won’t do it again!

I promise I’ll never bother you!”


Just as Mr. Badger

Was about to hit the ground

Another gust caught him,

And he landed safe and sound.


Mr. Hawk landed beside him

“Be off with you, old brute.

Never again try to steal

A fairy’s hard earned fruit.”


Mr. Badger ran away

And went back to Badger Town.

From that point on

He was seen as a clown.


Mr. Badger couldn’t get far

Trying to boss anyone around.

So, he mostly kept to himself

And stayed in his burrow underground.


One day, he snapped at Frank.

“This is all your fault!

When I try to badger others, they taunt me

And all my words come to a halt!”


Little Frank shook his head,

“Silly old trout.

If you can’t take it,

Don’t be the first to dish it out.”

Comments

Popular Posts