Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

To Read or Not to Read

Skyla walked into her bedroom holding a plastic bag in her hand. Sunlight streamed in through the two open windows on her right and bird songs fluttered into her room.

“Good afternoon, Skyla.”

She spun around to her bed. Sitting at the foot of her bed leaning against her pillow was the book War and Peace. Its silvery white lettering shimmered on its emerald cloth cover. She tucked the bag behind her back. “Oh, hi! I uh…didn’t see you there. How have you been?”

“I’ve been okay. I would be even better if you finished reading me this month. How long has it been? Two months? Two years?”

“Y-yeah. Of course. Silly me. Guess I will have to finish reading you, huh?”

“Yes. Time is short.”

“Yeah…sure is.”

There was a long pause.

“Where did you drive today?” War and Peace asked.

“Dad and I just drove around the neighborhood a few times.”

“I see. You think you’ll be ready for your driver’s test after driving to the library all the time?”

Skyla stiffened. “I, uh, well–”

“So you did go there today.”

“Well, yes. But I had to drop off a library book I borrowed. It was due today. Remember that book, The Candy Shop War?”

“Oh, I remember him. He was annoying. Not to mention he took up your valuable reading time.”

“I thought he was pretty nice, actually. The story was pretty cool. Magic candy, kids fighting wizards–neat stuff. Really good book.”

“Uh-huh. I’m sure he was. I am also sure you found another ‘really good’ library book to read instead of me!”

“What? No, no. Why would you think that? I wouldn’t do that.”

“Then what’s in the bag you’re hiding behind your back?”

She took a step back. “Nothing.”

“Hey!” a voice called from within the bag. “Let me out, will ya? I can’t stay stuffed in here forever!”

War and Peace scoffed. “Nothing indeed.”

Skyla sighed. She could feel the condescending glare War and Peace was giving her, which was weird considering he didn’t have eyes. “Okay, so I couldn’t resist.” She held the bag in front of her. “Sorry.”

“You say that all the time! But it’s always the same. You buy a book you plan on reading, finish it partway, and lo and behold, you borrow a library book you find much more interesting, leaving the former book to collect dust! Do you know how insulting that is?! I am one of the greatest books in the literary world! And here you are reading borrrowed children’s books and fantasy and whatnot when you could be reading me!”

Skyla bit her lip. She never thought one of her bad reading habits would ever be called out. Especially not by a book. But that was to be expected now that she could understand what books were thinking.

“So, what irresistible book did you borrow from the library this time?”

She took the book out of the library bag.

War and Peace groaned. “The Fall of Gondolin. Another fantasy book. What a surprise.”

“It’s by J.R.R Tolkien. How could I refuse Tolkien?”

“I’m by Leo Tolstoy! How could you refuse Tolstoy?!”

“In her defense,” The Fall of Gondolin said, “Tolkien is one of the best writers in the world.”

“Oh quiet you! I’ve been waiting to be read for over two years! I have every justification to vent!”

“I know, I know, I’m just saying.”

“And I’m just saying mind your own business! You have no idea how many books she’s bought and has failed to finish reading! The only reason no other book is reprimanding her right now is that they’re too nice or they’re tucked away in the closet!”

“Well, you don't have to be so grouchy about it. If you behave like this every day, I don't blame her for not wanting to read–”

“Okay, okay, alright!" Skyla said. She rubbed her temple with one hand while holding The Fall of Gondolin in the other. “I’ll read both of you this week. I'll read one or two chapters from each of you every day. Okay?”

“Fine by me,” The Fall of Gondolin said.

War and Peace groaned. "Fine. But after he’s gone, I want your full attention. I want you to finish me before the year is out.”

“Fair enough,” Skyla said.

“And I want to be read first.”

“Fine.”

“Good.”

They were all quiet for a moment.

Skyla stretched. “Welp, I’m getting lunch.” She sat The Fall of Gondolin beside War and Peace. “You guys be nice to each other while I’m gone.” She headed out the door.

“Wait!” War and Peace said. “You can’t possibly leave me here with–”

The door closed.

“–him.”

War and Peace and the Fall of Gondolin sat there, looking into space, listening to the birds, waiting for Skylar to return.

“Just for the record,” War and Peace said, “Tolstoy’s work is much better than Tolkien’s.”

“Oh, no. Don’t start another literary debate,” The Fall of Gondolin said.

“Who said this was a debate?”

Comments

Popular Posts