Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

The Ivory Tower


Princess Shupikayi glared at The Ivory Tower that stood proud in the center of the island. She couldn’t believe this abomination existed.

The tower wasn’t named that because the lord who built it was ignorant of the struggles of the subjects in his precinct.

It was made entirely of ivory.

It gleamed in the morning light like a sword, its pointy tip stabbing the blue sky, and its four strange elephant-snake gargoyles eyeing those below from their lofty perch.

Such a building could only be done with the help of fairy architects, but what on earth was Uncle Ekon thinking when he created this monstrosity? He knew that the hunting of elephants for their tusks was illegal in the Mushana Kingdom. Yet here he was, making his crime extremely blatant on a “remote” island.

In a few minutes, her uncle’s hearing would be over, and the council would make their judgment. She doubted Ekon would receive the harsh punishment that he deserved, given that her father, King Takunda, cared for him too much. But at very least, Ekon’s crimes would be made public. That was the law.

As if on cue, her father’s heavy footsteps came from behind. 

Shupikayi’s ears twitched and she turned around. Her father’s face was grave. 

Shupikayi was excited to hear what punishment her uncle had received, but she hid it behind her poker face. “How did it go?”

King Takunda adjusted his crown. “I think it went as well as I could’ve hoped.” He stood beside her and shook his head at the tower. “Why does my brother keep doing stuff like this,” he muttered.

Shupikayi tapped her foot. “What is his sentence?”

“He will be banished to this very island, and he will remain here until I say otherwise.”

Shupikayi wanted to groan. “You’re giving him a free vacation? Lovely. That will show him not to break the law.” 

The king glared at her. “Watch your tone.”

“How long is this ‘exile’ going to last? A week?”

“I said watch your tone.”

Shupikayi’s face grew hot. “This is the third time Ekon’s done something illegal, and he still gets to keep his title. How is anyone supposed to take us seriously when we let family members get away with murder? The people of Mushana will not rejoice at the news that Lord Ekon hired poachers to kill elephants and is getting a slap on the wrist.”

“No peasant needs to know that Ekon hired the poachers. All they need to know is that the poachers who killed the elephants were dealt with, and they will be satisfied.”

Shupikayi stared at him. “Please tell me you’re joking.”

“I don’t joke about family matters.”

“But our law clearly states that all crimes committed by public officials must–”

“I know!” The King rubbed his temple and took a deep breath. “Listen, I don’t like this either. But your uncle, my brother, is the only family I have. While my father lay on his deathbed, I promised him that I would protect Ekon. My whole life, I’ve tried to protect him, to guide him as best as I could. What sort of brother would I be if I locked him away for years? I can’t do that. I have to give him another chance. Do you understand now?”

Shupikayi sighed. “I’ve always understood, Baba. But that doesn’t mean I agree.” She waved her hand at the Ivory Tower. “At least tell me you’re going to destroy this eyesore.”

The king nodded. “I’ve made an arrangement with the pixies on this island. They’ll have it destroyed within a day.”

“Good.” Shupikayi walked away from the tower.

King Takunda raised an eyebrow. “Where are you going?”

“To have a tea party with a friend. I’m not staying here to help you bury bodies and hide skeletons in closets.” Besides, she thought, my friend loves a good news story. Especially ones about political corruption. She’ll be more helpful than you are right now.

Comments

Popular Posts