Skip to main content

Featured

Rain

Rain crackles on the sidewalks As the thunder bellows and roars. Cars hiss by on the wet streets As fallen leaves soar. Lightning flashes in the clouds As the trees dance in the wind. Chills and goosebumps rise on my arms As the cold rain hits my skin. Birds sing in their havens As rivers form in the parking lot. Blades of grass flinch and twitch  As they are pelted by raindrops. Cars sweat and weep buckets As they are left out in the stormy weather. Puddles form in the mud As raindrops splash ripples in them together. The scent of asphalt and rain Fills the cool, humid air As God’s rain calms my restless soul And washes away my despair.

Fast and Slow Workdays


Some workdays feel like

They go by fairly fast.

There’s always plenty to do,

And on those days, we have more staff.


But other days feel like

They go by very slowly.

Even after doing plenty of the work, 

Only a few minutes or so have passed.


I sometimes think about why

Some days are fast while others are slow.

Sometimes it’s because of less staff.

Sometimes it’s because of less work to do.


Sometimes it’s because of more customers.

Sometimes it’s because of less customers.

Maybe it’s in part because I watch the clock,

Eager for it to be two, one, then a half-hour before closing.


But sometimes I feel like

There’s something more to it.

Maybe God is doing some supernatural

And I don’t yet know it?


I sometimes wish all workdays

Were fast workdays

So that I can get home “sooner”

And have time to myself.


On the slow workdays

I think about what I will do

When I get back home.

But I think about that on fast workdays, too.

Comments

Popular Posts